Thursday, 29 September 2011

Always reasons to be cheerful....





Hello.










Thanks for all your lovely comments and emails over the past few weeks. Things have been quite grim healthwise again and I couldn't use the computer muchly but am back in the world of the walking and talking again so let's get on with what is keeping me cheery.






Reasons to be cheerful number one........








The weather in my neck of the woods has been pretty good throughout August and September but now- wey hey - a heat wave!








Thank you God!





I spent much of August (including my birthday) in bed so to get another chance of a mini Summer is just sweet. The garden is throwing out tons of flowers in celebration.










These poppies are newly sown from this year's seedheads - bit unusual to have flowers this early from a planting. This is a new bed that Steve dug recently - roses, some perennial daisies for next year, the last of the pelargoniums and the start of the Winter pansies.








The rest of the patio area is still colourful with some Summer bedding, some Winter bedding and my herbs. Some large plants have now outgrown their pots and need to be dug into the garden - another job for the garden labourer (aka Steve- I am Head Gardener, of course!!)






Reasons to be cheerful number two.....







Finding "new to me" plants.




















This is acidanthera; a member of the iris family.










It smells beautiful - a cross between a lily and an eau de cologne sweet pea. The scent wafts on the breeze and makes me breathe in deeply and sigh gratefully whenever I open the kitchen door and take my cup of tea outdoors.










Reasons to be cheerful number three....

Learning a new skill.








Finally, finally I have learnt how to make a decent Yorkshire pudding.

























I set the oven to it's max heat.




I put the bun tin into the oven for 5 minutes to heat through.






I took it out and put in a little oil and put it back in the oven. When that was piping hot I put some batter mixture in each section of the tin. Put back in oven and leave for 15 mins without opening the oven at all. Voila, done; perfect yorkshires! I am sad, I know, but this has thrilled me!










So thanks again for saying hi whilst I was gone!










TTFN - see you tomorrow hopefully - I'll show you some lovely pics of places I have been doing my walking physiotherapy- one was literally up hill and down dale - in the Derbyshire Dales. Though we drove up , I walked the flat bit, and we drove down - CHEAT!










L.x.










7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Oh, Lynn! I am so happy to "see" you!
Let's have a virtual birthday party to celebrate our birthdays. You bring the Yorkshire Pudding and I'll bring bacon. Oh, how I wish we could take a little drive, stop for tea, and then have a VERY short walk and a prayer together. I've missed you. Your garden looks fantastic and you make an excellent head gardener.
I love you!

♥ Tina said...

YIPPEEEEE! You're back! :) I've missed you too! Lovely yorkshires, and lovely garden pics! Enjoy the heatwave, it's fab, isn't it? :D xxx

Angela said...

welcome back, dear friend!

Kim @ Lavender Fields Forever said...

Sorry you've not been too well. Hope you are feeling better & enjoyed your Derbyshire trip

Jayne said...

So happy to see you back. You have inspired me to try again with Yorkie Puds. I usually do frozen ready-to-rise ones, but they are not the same.

Mrs M said...

Welcome back; you have been missed so much. Glad to see you still so cheerful and enjoying your lovely garden and yummy yorkshire puds. God bless, Lesley xx

50 and still trying to be Frugal .... said...

Glad to see you back. I have been thinking about you.
Take care and I look forward to hearing from you soon

Sue