Thursday, 4 August 2011

Reasons to be cheerful number one...




The wrens nimbly skip in and out of their nest in the ivy, flitting back and forth, singing as they go, the perfect couple showing us all how home-making and child-rearing should be done; efficiently, with little fuss whistling whilst we work. (Yeah, right!)




I watch from my patio seat, impressed.





The wood pigeons, on the other hand, are making a complete song and dance about the whole caboodle! They lollop along the fence with huge amounts of nest material in their mouth, far too much even when one considers that they are much larger birds and must build with that in mind. They drop half of it as they sit on the fence having a rest and then gaze down at the flower border now bedecked in their bedding material in utter disbelief.



With a calamatous flapping of wings the male takes what is left of the twigs, circles the silver birch tree at the end of the garden three times and swoops into the branches. A grand "Honey, I'm home!" entrance. Branches flail, there is a tussle, much sqwarking "Is that it? You've been gone ten minutes and all you've brought back is two twigs?" The branches sway violently and Mr Pigeon falls out, tries to gain composure, looks to see if any of the neighbours have seen, and clumsily continues his search for more building material.




And I watch amused.








Reasons to be cheerful number two....




It is too hot to be indoors. We read on the patio whilst fish is cooking. We eat outdoors. After supper we read some more outdoors. As the sun sets and it gets cooler we spend some time gardening.





Reasons to be cheerful number three...




Another wren family are ready to take their babes on adventures out of the nest. They go for walks up and down the buddleia branches. The babies' high pitched screeching becomes almost unbearable as time goes by. The parents patiently show them - for nearly an hour - how to pick at the spent buddleia flower heads. The babies totally ignore the parents and just run up and down the branches screeching.





Parenting across the species appears to have some similarities.



L.x.

22 comments:

Jill said...

I remember the screeching from my own parenting!

Pom Pom said...

Hello little bird! Wrens are so cute! I called my baby Jenny, Jenny Wren! You reminded me to fill the bird feeders this morning. Now your day is almost done and mine just beginning. Cheers for good fish eaten outdoors! LOVE!

Terri said...

I just love your first reason. Such a great description!

Alison said...

I love Wrens, we hear them and sometimes see them in the hedge on one of our dog walks, otherwise rather short of birds in our gardens, so many cats, one neighbour has 6, 5 are very young, we have chased them from our own and neighbours garden, but they have decimated the baby birds this year, (don't get me wrong, not a cat hater), but I wish they were not such bird killers, we also have a resident Sparrow Hawk, and regularly see or hear some poor little thing being carried off screaching, last year they tok all 5 baby blackbirds from our garden, once while OH was stood about 5 foot away, guess it is all part of the scheme of things, but still makes me sad. So I have enjoyed your bird life with you instead. Ali. xxx

Kim @ Lavender Fields Forever said...

Thank you Lyn. Can't wait to start

patti said...

You haven't been on here for quite awhile and I am worried. Are you okay?

Lynn said...

Hello Patti - thanks for calling by. I have been very poorly this month - another hemiplegic migraine query possible small stroke - am awaiting an appointment with my neurologist. I am feeling tons better today and am beginning to walk again and get back on with life again. Am still noting reasons to be cheerful each day but as I was as miserable as sin I thought it best to stay away- lol - plus the fact I have been in bed for over a week. But things are back on the up. Hope you are well.
Much love.
Lynn.x.

patti said...

I'm sorry that you have to go through this but am glad you are doing better. If I wasn't so far away(u.s.a) I would be glad to come by and help you. I enjoy your blogs so much and hearing about your family. Keep well.

Lynn said...

Thanks Patti :)

Mrs M said...

Lots of love and prayers coming your way. So very sorry you have been poorly again and hope you are up and about very soon. Your lovely blog has been missed. God bless. Lesley x

Lynn said...

Ah bless you Lesley - what a lovely cheery message :)
L.x.

Floss said...

I DREAMT I saw a wren last night! And reading this post has reminded me of that - I really miss them, as we have lots of other wonderful birds in our garden but this year, no wrens. I love this post. Our 'stressed bird parent' prize this year goes to a pair of nightingales - I did a post about them a while back.

Thanks for entering my giveaway - it was good to come over and find your new(ish) blog here.

Marytoo said...

Hello Lynn, I have been missing you as well! I keep checking here to find nothing new... :-( It finally occurred to me to write a comment, and I'm so happy to see you have checked in here!

I hope you have had a good report from your neuro. My heart and prayers are with you.

Love,
marytoo

Lynn said...

Hi Mary :)
Thanks for dropping by.
L.x.

Alison said...

Dear Lynn, so sorry you have been ill, but pleased you are feeling a little better now. Lots of love and positive thoughts from Dorset (from 20th October, it will be with love from Ludlow, we have bought our new house there now). xxx Ali.

Lynn said...

Dorset and then Ludlow - you do choose lovely places to live Ali! Thanks for calling by! And a piccy of you too!
L.x.

Anonymous said...

Just found your new blog. I love the concept of looking for three things to be cheerful for. A discipline I am definitely going to try for myself. Hope you are starting to feel much better now

Christine

Lynn said...

Thanks for leaving a comment Christine :)

Terri said...

Lynn, I hope you're okay. I've been thinking about you and wondering. Have a blessed day!

Lynn said...

Hi Terri - thanks for calling by :)
L.x.

Pom Pom said...

Lynn,
Come back!
I miss you!
(BIG HUG!)

Lynn said...

Hiya Pom Pom.
L.x.