Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Reasons to be cheerful number one...




The garden centre had a book and stationery sale. So I spent a happy afternoon catching up on some correspondence and reading & planning vegetable planting and frugal cookery.







Reasons to be cheerful number two...

We have almost finished planting up the plants we bought at David Austin Roses.

A climber - Altissimo









William Shakespeare - will be in a large pot on the patio for a few weeks as the patio has no scent at the moment - may go in a border after that, when the other patio rose is back in flower - not sure yet as I am having a re-think on the patio.



And this is Winchester Cathedral which has joined the other roses in one of the rose and dahlia beds.











We also bought another dahlia.







Clematis Rebecca.






And I could not resist the "Rescue me" counter - two Corydalis China Blue which are spring flowers so are just green shoots right now and look remarkably healthy and not in need of rescue just a Summer holiday. They will look like this come Spring (hopefully).









It was funny but I couldn't make a decision as everything was lovely so told Steve to choose as I would be ok with anything - the William Shakespeare and the Clematis Rebecca - I had picked up at our local garden centre a few weeks ago and put them back as Steve wasn't there with me and I felt that as they were more expensive than, say a tray of annuals, that I should wait to see if he liked them too. On our next visit they were sold out. I didn't tell him about them - and on Saturday he chose them anyway - I didn't realise til we got home and I was reading the labels!




Reasons to be cheerful number three....




Another fine weather day in prospect - so more gardening - today I have forget me not, campion, aquilegia, nigella, and poppy seed heads to clip and sprinkle. I noticed that in one part of the border these plants had self seeded amongst the spring bulbs and ferns and have followed each other in succession and looked lovely. So I am going to sprinkle the seeds further along the same bulb and fern border to try to extend this show that I would never have dreamt of myself.



Have a lovely day.



L.x.



It is those who have a deep and real inner life who are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life.



Evelyn Underhill.



12 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What gorgeous roses. I have Winchester Cathedral too. Your garden is going to be a riot of colour!

Alison said...

Before I moved south used to drive along road with sign to David Austen Roses, but never went there. When we get back to Midlands and I have a new garden, it will def. be on my to visit list. Your plants look lovely, thanks for sharing. Ali. xx

Pom Pom said...

Hi, Lynn! I am mailing your package off today! I told you that I am the slowest package mailer ever. You are having so much fun in your fragrant garden. I'm not sure why we haven't tried harder with roses. They don't like our short growing season. I'm so glad Steve chose just what you wanted. He's smart, huh? Have a lovely evening.

Lynn said...

Wow - thank you Pom Pom - something lovely to look forward to - you are a treasure :)
Alison - you are coming back to the Midlands - perhaps we will get a chance to meet?
Elizabeth - my riot of colour may yet turn chaotic - lol!

Terri said...

You flowers are gorgeous, Lynn!

Jill said...

I am getting more into roses. Yours are just awesome. Hoping next year to have improved whats here!

bad penny said...

I love your Blog name ! Popped by via somewhere else and now can't remember where from !!!!

Lynn said...

Welcome "Penny"! Sorry about the hens. I have been pondering keeping hens this Summer. My nest is emptying too.
L.x.

Angela said...

Oooh! I had that green Frugal Cookbook out of the library a few weeks back. Keep meaning to try the risotto-made-with-pearl-barley recipe [cos I have some PB in the cupboard, much cheaper than arborio rice]
the roses are gorgeous

and YOU are very generous - thanks for the sponsorship

blessings x

Lynn said...

Well done Ang - I was so pleased to cheer you on :)

Jojo said...

That beautiful blue fumewort is incredible!

melanie said...

Such gorgeous roses Lynn :) Thank you for your lovely comment :)xxx