Saturday, 9 July 2011


Reasons to be cheerful number one...




I woke early so read in my bed and then made a cooked breakfast. The whole day strectched before us. No work to go to, all housework done; empty hours to be filled as we wished.









Reasons to be cheerful number two...





We pottered in the garden. Later Steve went to get his hair cut and I made a point of actually sitting with a cup of tea and enjoying my garden. A friend and I were saying yesterday that we rarely just sit and enjoy our gardens - we are always working in them! Not this morning - well for 10 minutes anyway!





Reasons to be cheerful number three...

Oh this is a biggie!

I only realised a month or two ago that David Austin Roses is only a 45 minute drive from my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry but as a rose lover this madly excites me.

So today was the day.

The nursery is attached to glorious gardens (free to get in) with a lovely gift shop, plant shop and restaurant. I was treated to a delicious lunch by my husband, sipping wine with a posy of scented roses on each table - it was all very romantic.

OK, I don't need wine and roses for a romantic lunch with my husband but oh it was so nice. It was nice to leave the outside world with all its problems outside; forget for a while that my hand doesn't work some, my leg drags, I can't remember stuff and just sit and wallow in the rose scent, the wine, the smiley face looking across the table at me. You know what I mean?

The gardens are beautiful with Pat Austin's sculptures and David Austin's roses. And of course, the scent was heady and everywhere.

My photos do not really do it justice.































































































Tomorrow we have the joy of placing our purchases in our own garden. And we plan to go back!




L.x.








Take time to smell the roses

And don't just work in your garden - sit and enjoy it too!











6 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Wine and roses sounds lovely, Lynn! I'm glad you are having such a nice weekend. Good for you, having a cup of tea and appreciating all your hard work!

Elizabethd said...

That's a place I've always wanted to visit. How lovely that you could.
Tell us which roses you bought!

Jill said...

Oh wow. Where is it then? Did they have the rambling rector?

Mac n' Janet said...

I love David Austin roses, want some for my garden and finally they're available here in the states

Terri said...

It looks like such a beautiful place to sit and soak in some peace, Lynn. I love your list of reasons to be cheerful! :-)

blueberry hill said...

Oh how I love David Austins place and the teashop there too! Annie