Monday, 13 June 2011

Reasons to be cheerful number one...




A gloriously sunny day when I should have gardened for England but it somehow seemed enough to wander round the garden and appreciate it instead. I seldom, if ever, just look. I can not remember the last time I just looked and did no work. The sun warmed my back. The scent of roses, lavender and honeysuckle on the breeze is overpowering. It is good to just stand and stare sometimes.











Reasons to be cheerful number two...







I raised these violas from the tiniest of plug plants - cheap and cheerful.








They were pretty all through Winter and now have really filled out and continue to nod on the breeze amid the ornamental grasses. When they have finally had their day, which seems months off yet, I shall cut them to ground and they should come strong again and all for a few pennies - wonderful :)








Reasons to be cheerful number three...



These cheap and cheerful sky blue lobelia always make me melt ...always.








That fabulous colour just makes my heart sing - it always has. I have been gardening for maybe twenty years now and I think I have bought these each year and sighed over them each year. They are not posh, clever, fancy, or expensive. You will never hear a gardening expert cry, "Wow look at the sky blue annual lobelia " at Chelsea Flower Show and I suppose I'd be disappointed if they did. But I can't have a Summer without oodles of the stuff - I even dedicate a pot full of it and nowt else :) Lovely!




L.x.




What is this life if, full of care,


We have no time to stand and stare?




No time to stand beneath the boughs,


And stare as long as sheep and cows;




No time to see, when woods we pass,


Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:




No time to turn at Beauty's glance,


And watch her feet, how they can dance;




No time to wait till her mouth can


Enrich the smile her eyes began?




A poor life this if, full of care,


We have no time to stand and stare.




WH Davies




4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I love lobelia too...but didnt plant any this year, dont quite know why....

Lisa Richards said...

I love that sky-blue color. I always stop and look at little harebells along my walking trail. I never tire of them! You are so right; I very seldom just sit on the front porch and soak in the beauty of the woods and pastures that surround our house. What am I waiting for?!? :)
Lisa (Backwoods Crazy Quilt)

GretchenJoanna said...

About just appreciating the garden: I very rarely take the time to do that. But this month I was sick, and cold, and when I got out of bed the sun was shining on a swing in the garden, drawing me outside, so I sat there and got cheered up by all the growing bright things. (one of the things was lobelia!)

Lynn said...

Hello GretchenJoanna - hope you are feeling better :)
L.x.